People that come to the Moinhos do Dão to help as volunteers are considered “resident-workers,” a term that supports the idea that, while at the MdD, you are living/working/being here, just like us—the hosts—equally experiencing and contributing to the work that is required to keep a quinta (smallholding farm) running and in good shape, nestled within a river-valley environment and “in tune” with the landscape. Thus, resident-workers should consider their volunteering as a moment to really experience what it is to live in a rural, off-grid Eco Quinta. In this experience, daily life and daily jobs are shared by all, considering where skills are best utilized, with time and space to learn.
We are looking for resident-worker(s) for the months of:
April through September, 2018
We are looking for volunteer(s) with experience and/or interest-to-learn in the following jobs that are the basis of living on the land, and maintaining land with interest in permaculture values:
– Grounds-keeping (mowing/scything, weeding, wood chopping, tree/bush pruning)
– Horta (vegetable garden) maintenance (weeding, planting, watering, composting, soil management) and/or canning/storing of produce (canning only in August – September)
– Communal cooking and light guest services (washing, bathhouse maintenance, etc.)
– General maintenance (cleaning, painting, fixing things around the terrain, light construction)
PARTICULAR (possibly in 2018):
– Ceiling/roof beams sealing against weather and future rot in our open, public space
– Tile floor upgrades in our cabanas (grouting and live-ability improvements)
– Refurnishing a cabin for a dedicated meditation zone
– Water canal upgrades and maintenance
– Building of shade structures (either metal welding or all-wood construction)
– Main house wood siding replacements
– And more!
Every year there is work to do in our vegetable garden, upgrades in our solar and hydro-power systems, ongoing building/construction, and landscape maintenance on the MdD. For the spring and fall months we are looking for resident-workers who can work in our vegetable garden, assist with general terrain and facilities maintenance, and random projects. For the summer months of July and August we are looking for resident-workers with the skills mentioned above and/or with experience in cooking, restaurant and bar services, and guest services.
MdD is a living/working community in which everyone participates in the cooking, cleaning and care of the community. Being at the MdD is about learning skills and ways of living on the land, in a responsible relationship with nature. We have made efforts to include permaculture practices into our life here on the Moinhos do Dão, and to be good stewards of the land under our feet, and that surrounds us in this valley, and in the region.
What we ask and offer for Resident-Workers: 5 1/2 days per week working on the MdD (average of 6 hours per day); private living quarters in a cabana (cabin) or camper on our terrain during the stay; communal breakfast, lunch and dinner for 5 1/2 days a week (working days); 1.5 days of the week are considered Leisure Days for the volunteers (and us as well). We prefer volunteers coming to the MdD for a minimum of 3 weeks.
Please send us a small biography of your background (including age, education and country of citizenship/origin) and interests and explain why you are interested in volunteering at Moinhos do Dão.
Get more information about our Volunteer Program at this link on the WWOOF network.
-Freya & Steven